Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Which rights will you exclude?

Recent comments by Kirk Cameron, Rush Limbaugh and MANY celebrities weighing in on the issue of homosexuality and birth control got me thinking.  It is very important to separate these issues from religious doctrine.  Who a person sleeps with is simply none of mine, or anyone else's business.  It is simply not good manners to discuss or display such things.  They are private and intimate.  To me, this discussion is inappropriate.  I believe in equal rights for ALL people in ALL circumstances, from ALL walks of life with no regard to race, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, political affiliation, favorite color, type of car they drive, type of house they live in, whether or not they pop pills, deserve grace, are a convicted felon, have ever had an impure thought or been a complete angel.  Rights are definite and specific.  They do not change because of who someone is.  Granted, what someone does in the context of breaking laws can limit their rights, but that is of their own volition.  I have the right to pursue my dreams, believe what I want, protect myself and insist on basic human dignity and respect from others.  I believe that that has been tested over time in a million ways but the fact remains that because I am a living, breathing, human organism, I am entitled to what every other human organism deserves.  I have no issues with any person celebrating the rights I have for one reason.  I will treat you as I want to be treated, which in fact, happens to be a biblical principle.  I don't want anyone to tell me who I can marry, how I can worship, or what I can do with my body.  Those things are gracefully given to me to decide.  The church has forgotten the basic tenets of love in favor of judgment.  Judgment is God's job.

As far as contraception goes, and whether or not it should be provided for free - please educate yourself on how the rights of women have been overlooked and violated since before and after suffrage.  Why shouldn't contraception be provided for women who can't afford it?? Would you provide them with medication to prevent heart disease, seizures, diabetes, etc?  Your response may be that pregnancy is preventable by abstinence so it is different.  Aren't heart disease and diabetes largely preventable?  Yet you'd have no problem providing those for free to someone who is indigent.  When did it become acceptable to not care about a whole person and only consider certain parts?  Again, it is important not to force one's views.  Everyone is at a different stage and level of understanding in their walk.  The most important thing is to love them through each and every step.

Just my two cents.  Perhaps, the only "Change" we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment